Friday, June 25, 2021

The Joy of Model Building

 I build a lot of models.

I'm always struck by the shear volume of model kits that are available. A huge variety of scales and subject matters, as well as an array of modeling mediums. Wood, plastic, resin, metal, 3D printed, etc.
And of course, there's a wildly variable level of quality.

Some of the best model kits I've had the pleasure of working on are the O scale caboose kits created by Glen Guerra of Mullett River Model Works. Very carefully designed laser cut wood kits with etched brass underframes and a collection of appropriate investment castings.

The late Dave Nadeau commissioned Glen to create a CPR and a CNR  wood van for Dave's company, Northern Models. I've built both a few years ago, but now I have the joy of building 3 of the CPR vans for some clients.


I'm going to try and blog about progress on these 3 as I progress.
3 O scale cabooses at one time will fill the bench quickly.

In this image the car sides have had the 3 layers laminated together as well as the car ends.
Under the steel weights are the cupola sides and ends, and to the back are the 3 floors with their 4 layers of laminated plywood parts.
And to the right you can see the pile of etched brass parts for the underframes, which will assembled within the floor and soldered together.
As these cars have full interiors as well, careful planning is called for as to when to prepaint things like the interior.
It all seems clear in my mind right now.
We'll see how that goes!
More to come


No comments: