Thursday, December 22, 2011

Where's Waldo?



One of the perils of model building is dropping little parts. Something I am certainly not immune to. Sometimes the repeated attacks of fumble fingers is a clue to stop working for awhile.
I did try the jeweler's bib trick shortly, but that ended when I nearly decapitated myself answering the phone. Now I just try to be more careful.
Part of this issue is planning ahead. In the first photo you will notice that I painted my concrete floor a basic grey. Not thinking that the colour is an almost perfect match for the grey tint in most resin. Somewhere in that photo you may find a cast resin brake cylinder. Let me know if you find it. I try not to think of the hours spent over the years crawling on the floor looking for parts.
Yesterday, while building a Westerfield CN gondola, I dropped the brake cylinder. Of course it was down onto the floor searching. After a futile 10 minutes I gave up and dug out another from the spares box.
I found the brake cylinder this morning. It was in my shoe! Sigh.

No comments: