Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Have You Ever Wondered...

why custom building rates for building resin kits appears to be expensive?
Well here in part is why.

This is a rig I had to create this morning to get a roof casting to fit.
The casting is of a radial roof created for an O scale boxcar. The pattern work for the whole car is exquisite and the casting work itself is not bad. What I had to deal with is not atypical for dealing with the variables of resin. The rectangular plug added to the roof casting was a good 0.080" too wide to fit in to the shell created by joining the sides and ends. So faced with the prospect of filing 0.040" x 0.125" off of each side I setup this little milling jig to hog off the offending material.
It certainly made short work of the task, compared to hand filing. But it still took up a chunk of time that could have been used assembling parts.
Now, I'm not complaining. I'm just pointing out what has to be done at times. And I don't get to charge extra for the fix.

No comments: