Friday, January 8, 2016

Stock Car Chronicles, Running Boards

And lets get this part very clear. They are properly called running boards, not roof walks. If you doubt me, read a Car Builders Cyclopedia.
While a straight forward job, running boards can make or break a car model.

They need to be carefully centred in both axis. So careful measuring and checking and rechecking is the watch word here. I tack the running boards to the stand offs at each end and make sure I'm happy with the location before adding CA at every standoff.
I add a length of 1 x 2 styrene to each end to replicate the end cross brace. There is a cast resin bit included, but I feel that that part is far too thick. Some careful marking and fitting results in the running board braces mounted to the car end and the running board.
Most of the cars are being built with a wood sheathed roof. The car history indicates that the NYC reroofed most these cars with a wood roof in the early 50s. Those roofs do not receive a lateral running board, while the metal sheathed roofs did.
It also worth noting at this time, that the wood roofs are a replacement roof offered by Speedwitch Media. This spectacular roof was crafted, board by board, by my friend Bill Welch and it needs to be seen to be fully appreciated.
Supports for lateral running boards can be a trial to create and mount.
I have the advantage of having lots of etched parts lying around, so I used some supports that I had in hand.
I drilled the ends and then drilled holes into the roof edges and pinned the parts in place and then simply glued the laterals in place.
The corner grabs were mounted in advance of securing the laterals and I used my etched eyebolts to support the corner rather than the supplied wire eyebolts.
It's worth noting at this time that Westerfield is no longer including wire eyebolts in their kits. Rather etched eyebolts from Yarmouth Model Works are part of the kits now. A little bit of self praise there.
Not much left now, some B end details, airhoses and cut levers. And then we paint.

No comments: