Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Treats from Germany

A couple of years ago now, I was in Germany for a Fremo meet in the town of Nordhorn. A truly inspiring experience. The level of craftsmanship was stunning and the collegiality was overwhelming.

 
These 2 images barely scratch the surface.
The other thing I came away with was a desire to get my hands on some of their throttles. Fremo uses the Digitrax Loconet protocol for their DCC operations, but have created their own hand held throttles. FREDs.
I found them to be far more ergonomic and more pleasant to use than the Digitrax throttles. So I prevailed upon my new friends and I now own 5 FREDs.
To assign a locomotive one has to dispatch the address to the FRED via a DT400. The good part of that is no one can steal your address. A good way for guests to run the layout.

No comments: