Saturday, June 30, 2012

Twist, twist, plant. Twist, twist, plant.

That's been my mantra for the last couple of days.
While waiting for glue to set on an O scale caboose kit, we'll talk about that another time, I've been creating corn fields.
Busch makes a very nice plastic cornfield detail item that I got through those fine people at Scenic Express. The kit is a bunch of injection molded corn stalks on base. They've even modeled ears! Since it's cast flat it needs depth, so every stalk is twisted on it's axis a few times along it's length to create a sense of 3D.

The parts all received a light coat of flat green paint and once it was dry it's Farmer Brown time! Into the field we go. The nature of the product requires that each strip be glued and pinned one at a time. Makes for very slow progress. Then Woodland Scenics Earth is poured on covering the bases and filling in between the strips.

I'm about a third of the way in this photo.
My new favorite people are those awesome creative types at Silflor. They have created a stunning line of scenery products. I just had great fun creating a small field of crops using their Crop Row product and I couldn't be more pleased with the result.

I'll be spending more money with them for sure.

No comments: