Saturday, December 10, 2016

3 from RCW

Back in October, while at the Chicagoland RPM, I purchased one of Resin Car Works  Missouri Pacific 50' steel autocar kits. I like autocars and since MP is a connector road to the Wabash I thought I could easily rationalize it's presence. When I got it home and had a closer look, I was very pleased with what I saw and decided that a block of these cars would be order, so I ordered 2 more from Frank Hodina.
Yesterday I put the finishing touches on them and I'd like to share them with you.
In 1951, my modeling era, these cars would be 10 years old and would have shown some wear and tear. And probably be close to needing a repaint.

With a couple of notable exceptions, the kits were built using components that were supplied in the box.
I substituted the A-Line sill steps with some etched steps from my own product line, YMW #212. And I used my etched ladder rungs in lieu of the wire grabs supplied. I have to say that I'm very pleased with the look of the ladders. So much so that all future Yarmouth Model Works kits that use etched ladders will likely include etched rungs.
In weathering the cars I tried something new for me.
Paint failure on galvanized steel roofs. Much as been written on this topic and a few techniques exist for replicating this detail. I've avoided this finishing for years since I wasn't feeling terribly confident in what I might achieve in trying to recreate this look, as well as I've seen a few examples of this look that didn't look right to me.
However, a query on STMFC Yahoo Group, garnered me a few photos of roof paint failure and a tip from someone online got me to try the following.
Now I wish I could remember who I got this from, and I'm really sorry I can't recall, but whoever you are, THANKS!
Rather than fiddle with rubber cement and multiple coats of paint, or salt and multiple coats of paint, the solution is easy;
A Silver Sharpie pen.
I weathered the roof some with oils and then simply drew on the roof with the pen. Random patterns and played a little.

A coat of flat finish to kill the shine , a dusting of grey and voila!
The nice thing about this method is that I can go back, add more if I like or repaint the roof and start again if I've gone too far.
The look is growing on me and I suspect that a large amount of my existing fleet will be getting paint failure on the roofs.




No comments: