Monday, November 30, 2020

New stuff from Yarmouth Model Works

 Just in time for Christmas?

No new kits yet, but there is new stuff coming in that department, be patient.
We've added some parts and changed one item
First up the change

Tack boards.
We are no longer offering cast resin tack boards, but rather 3D printed parts.
Who really wants to sand the backs of tack boards?

These tack boards are nice and crisp, and look great, even if I do say so myself.


Cast resin retainer valves
We've been including these in our kits, and felt it was time to offer them separate.
8 per package.

ACF Corrugated end
This unique end was created by ACF in the postwar era and was applied to a variety of boxcars.
The pattern was created in CAD and 3D printed, and copies are cast in resin.

This end is also available in O scale, tell your friends and email me for details.

ACF Proprietary Roof
Created at the same time as the ACF end, saw some success was never really caught on.
The pattern was created in CAD and 3D printed, and copies are cast in resin.

Stay safe everyone and please wear a mask in public.
The longer people resist this simple step, the longer this virus will be around.


Sunday, November 22, 2020

The best chainlink fencing in HO on the market

 For the Italian Swiss Colony winery in Tarpey, I was in need of chainlink fencing to enclose the track in front of the winery. As seen in this photo

I've looked at some of the options that are on the market for kits, and the prospect of fiddling with bits of wire and lace Tulle was not high on my list of fun things to do.
Good thing someone invented the interweb.
A Google search turned up Alkem Scale Models and their photo-etched offering,

An order was quickly placed and quickly delivered
To say I was delighted with what I received is an understatement
Nice crisp etched parts, a choice of 3 gate styles and barbed wire along the top. Perfect
And installation was a breeze
I quickly sprayed all the supplied parts with a light grey colour, to kill the shine, as well as a few lengths of 0.025" wire to use as posts.

I started at the south end where there were 2 gates, drilling holes into the base for the gate posts, and trimming the fence panels to fit in between the tracks

CA was used to secure the panels to the posts as well as securing the gates in the open position

The main run went in very quickly, using the full panels as a guide for drilling the holes for the posts

Along to the north end where only one gate was required, and then closing in the rest of the enclosure.

The whole project maybe took 2 hours. The fencing is sturdy and looks fantastic
Well worth the cost.
Now all I have to do is build the actual buildings associated.
Another day for that.

Flat car decks, a better way?

 Following the lead of my friend Ted Culotta, I've got a new way of painting flat car decks. And I'm very pleased with the results.
I used to like the results I got from using oil paints, but this approach is simpler, quicker and visually more pleasing.

We start by painting a base colour of a tan, light brown or some such. In this case I used Tamiya Wooden deck tan. A flat paint is important for the following steps

Once that has dried, it's time for Pan Pastels
First pass over the entire deck was Raw Umber, applied using a cheap makeup sponge
Random coverage is desired

Next is Payne's Grey

Followed by basic Black

The process is quick, and very controllable. Density of colour can be increased by making multiple passes

Now all I have to do is finish up the loads for these cars.
More on that in the coming months
It's gonna be super cool

Saturday, November 7, 2020

It may not look like much

 But it's a huge deal for me

After 4 months of frustration and stress, I'm finally getting castings again for the D&RGW kits.
The photo shows the first batch of backordered kits that will be mailed out Monday.
In about another week I should have the balance of the other outstanding kits into the mail. Just as soon as the next load of castings arrive.
All 3 of the masters for the D&RGW kits got damaged because of a bad batch of rubber, that failed to cure and as a result took forever to clean. In the cleaning process, rivet were lost, details knocked off, etc.
But now, we're back in business.
My sincere thanks to all the very patient customers who have been understanding through this very trying time. As if COVID wasn't enough this year.

And shortly there will be some new items available through the website.
Stay tuned .