Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Lemonade from a lemon.

One of the perils of being a "doer', rather than a ponderer, is that every now and then we paint ourselves into a corner.
This little device illustrates this well.
The first turnout in the St Thomas yard, at the west end, has it's head block ties right on the abutment, as you can see in this photo.
The model abutments were reused from the old layout and I really didn't give the control of the turnout in question a lot of thought as I dove into getting the layout underway.
I am not one to suffer from analysis/paralysis. Usually some form of inspiration occurs as work progresses.
This one however stymied me for quite some time. This is where good friends come to the rescue. My buddy Trevor Marshall was here a few weeks ago and turned his hand to addressing this problem for me. He writes about it here; http://themodelrailwayshow.com/cn1950s/?p=7708

I was pleased with the mechanical aspect, but visually it wasn't working for me. So starting the other day I lowered the slide switch by about an inch to improve the way the slope is going to look once I cover the switch with scenery.
With this done I can now look at building the switch stand platform in the near future.
Ever forward!


1 comment:

Trevor said...

Wait a minute - my work was a lemon?!? But I just did what you told me...