Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Speedwitch Media PFE R-40-25 Part 7

 Where we fling some paint,

With the ends mostly detailed, it was time to add the B end specific items.
Hand Brake, Brake step, retainer valve etc.
I used the Tichy Ajax handbrake mounted to the etched brake housing brackets, the brake steps are a Morton style which I had leftover from my YMW days as were the retainer valves. A bit of 0.008" wire for the retainer line and we're good to go.
Also bent up some cutlevers.


 
These were affixed a strip of styrofoam with carpet tape and were set aside for priming.
The last detail on the roofs were the running board end braces which were assembled and secured to the underside of the running boards



As the ends and roofs are painted the same colour, these are all ready for paint.
With the variety of materials used in construction, priming was very much in order.
I sprayed a coat of Tamiya Grey primer and let that cure. I like to use the bottled stuff vs the rattle can generally. Waste far less paint that way.

I wanted to use Starbrand SP freight car  brown for the ends and roofs;


 But the gods of airbrushing had other plans. I almost had enough paint.
Yes I could of ordered another bottle from Starbrand, but;
Shipping would be more than the paint, and I'm not sure if PBL even ships to Canada these days.
Fortunately I had a plan B.
Scalecoat Boxcar Red #2. You'd be hard pressed to note the difference.
And while that was going on;

I applied decals to a group of cars that I've been working on for a couple of years.
Ted was kind enough to run me a custom set of decals for these cars, Ted's artwork is far superior to what was available when this kits were first released


 
Now I just have to decide which process I want to use to weather these babies.

No comments: