Sunday, July 21, 2013

Full Circle? Well almost


Remember back in 1991 when Intermountain Railway Co released the Canadian design cylindrical covered grain hoppers? That would be the firm beginnings of my custom building and finishing career. That summer I built, painted and decaled at least 100 of those kits for the local hobby shop, in a whole variety of paint schemes. Needless to say I became very proficient at building those kits and wholeheartedly sick of them as well.
Fast forward 22 years and I'm at it again, sort of. I have 10 S scale grain hoppers to paint for a client. He assembled the Kaslo Shops resin kits and I've agreed to paint, decal and weather them.
Enough time as passed now I'm no longer scarred by the never ending parade of Canadian grain hoppers.
The challenge now is to match the paint mixes to what paints I have now. My supply of Floquil, like everyone else's is limited.
And in case you're wondering, I've been basically away from home since the 5th of July. We had Pearl Jam in the arena where I work part time rehearsing and teching their 2013 tour. 2 weeks of very long days and nights. No time for trains. We sent them on their way last Tuesday, which meant that I got home Wednesday morning at 4:00 am. Spent 2 days recovering and then the last 3 days have been focused on packing boxes of the CPR boxcar kit and tweaking the new kit. We have more work this week and then it'll be back to normal for August.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Pierre,
What can I say, but nothing but the Best!
Much appreciate your specialized work.
Keep Up!
Cheers,
Neil F.