Sunday, October 11, 2015

Tried something new,

And it worked!
Got some ballast down today.
The last layout and my old Free-Mo modules used Woodland Scenics products. I wasn't completely thrilled with the way the Woodland Scenics ballast behaved. When I applied the glue, I would wind up with an inordinate amount of  "floaters". Which would have to be scrapped off once the glue had set, prior to laying rail.
Turns out that the Woodland Scenics ballasts are made from crushed walnut shells, which would explain the floaters.
This time I turned to Scenic Express and used their line of crushed stone ballasts.
The mainline is ballasted with their fine light gray while the spurs are being done with their light cinders blend.
The dust in the cinders has darkened the ties considerably, and I'll have to find a way to address that. But generally I'm very pleased with the results.
AND NO FLOATERS!
I only do a preliminary ballasting so has to prep for laying the rail. Once scenery is in, I'll come back and clean up the edges and such.
I don't ballast turnouts before laying the track, since I've had nothing but trouble in the past gluing points shut.
Onward!

No comments: