Monday, December 7, 2015

While you weren't looking,

I snuck in turntable.
Between various other tasks, I've been pecking away at the turntable.
I purchased a 75' table from those fine fellows at Diamond Scale Products. Turntables are one of those things that can give you fits if they aren't well made. Good thing the Diamond Scale units are.
This is not the first one of these I've owned over the years. The old Palmerston layout had one of these as well and it worked very well. And it continued it's service on Rich Chrysler's layout in Simcoe. It has since moved on, to where I'm not sure.
I've also seen larger Diamond Scale turntables on other layouts and they perform well. Good enough for me.
There's a lot of fiddling to get the pit to sit at the right height. Not sure what the thinking was for the height of the pit walls, but I know how to cut holes and shim things to get the desired results.
I will be altering the wiring from the suggested process, but I'll cover that later.
For now, with the pit in it's hole, I can finish up the ties and rails to the turntable and move onto other things.

1 comment:

renegourley said...

Turntables are one of those things that can give you fits if they aren't well made.

You said a mouthful there, Pierre!

It was definitely a good decision to get Diamond Scale to take the edge off this project for you.